‘The Beast’ is the United States presidential state car, which is a unique Cadillac that debuted on September 24, 2018. United States presidents embraced automotive technology in the early 20th-century with President William Howard Taft’s purchase of four cars. He converted the White House stables into a garage. The first presidential state car was built to United States Secret Service standards during the President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s administration. This car was called Sunshine Special.
The presidential state cars frequently allowed the president to ride uncovered and exposed to the public until President Kennedy’s assassination. That incident gave room to the progression of increasingly armored and sealed cars.
Now what’s so special about the current model of ‘the beast’? well, let’s look at this video overview before we get into the details.
Key features of ‘the Beast’ (a unique Cadillac):
1. The body of The Beast is covered in military grade armour which is at least five inches thick. Combination of dual hardness steel, aluminium, titanium and ceramic to break up projectiles.
2. The doors of the car are armoured-plated which are 8 inches thick and the weight of a cabin door of a Boeing 757 jet. They form a 100% seal when closed, to protect the occupants in the event of even a chemical attack. Not enough? well, they can also be electrified to prevent intruders.
3. The windows of The Beast can withstand armour-piercing bullets with five layers of glass and polycarbonate. Only driver’s window can open, that too by only 3 inches.
4. The Kevlar-reinforced tyres are shred and puncture resistant with steel rims underneath. And, they enable the car to run even in case the tyres are destroyed.
5. The rear compartment of The Beast seats the President and up to four passengers with glass partition. Only the President has access to a switch to lower it.
6. The car also has its own oxygen supply as well as the panic button.
7. The fuel tank is armoured-plated and filled with a special foam that prevents it from exploding if it is being involved in a crash.
8. The boot part of the car has firefighting system, tear gas and smoke-screen dispensers.
9. This car even has the bags of the President’s blood type which is kept on board in case he needs transfusion.
10. The driver’s compartment has a communication center and a GPS tracking system. At the front, under the grille is a hidden camera with night-vision facility.
11. The chauffeur who drives The Beast is specially trained by the US Secret Service to cope with the most demanding of driving conditions, including escape and evasion and a 180-degree ‘J-turn’. Interestingly, it can also lay down oil slick to prevent vehicles from chasing it.
The cost of the Beast is said to be around USD 1.5 million and undoubtedly, it’s one of the most famous presidential limos in the world.